Friday 8 February 2008

Goals for 2008

About 10-12 years ago I was involved in a team building course where it was stated that over 90% of business people who wrote down their personal goals achieved them. Conversely this figure drops to about 60% business success where clear goals were not defined and written down. The figures may be somewhat out but you get the idea.

Apparently there was a scientific study on this and there is an explanation as to why this might happen. When you think about things you use one side of the brain and when you write things down you use the other. So in the act of writing down your goals or desires they somehow get etched into your psyche by using both sides of the brain and are thus kept for recollection either consciously or sub-consciously. This is the same reason why making notes whilst revising for an exam is encouraged, it gives you a better chance of remembering the facts.

This is something that I have carried with me from that day to this and use this theory in my personal life at regular intervals, and it has to be said that I have achieved over 90% of the things that I have written down to date.

So with that explained I will continue here to write down my poker goals 2008.
-
Firstly I wanted to set myself some financial goals. To do this I am using one of my previous written down achievements - my other hobby shown below.


I have owned a yacht for about 8 years now, but have only had the one above for approximately 2 years. It probably costs me about £3000 / year to maintain, store and use so this is my first goal. My poker winnings must match (or exceed) my yachting expenses for this season.

Secondly I have to qualify for a substantial live tournament to rub shoulders with some of the professional players in this game. To do this I am going to target the GUKPT via online qualifiers. This is something I did to some extent last year but just kept falling at the final hurdle. I am also going to look at buying into a GUKPT side event if I can get a couple of backers. £300 direct buy in is a little rich for my current tastes, but I have a couple of mates who might be ready to buy a third.
-
So there are my goals. Short but brief I know but at least I have set some realistic and achievable targets.
-
Month one has set me off on winning ways for the year, just hope it keeps going the same in the following months.
-
Thats all for now, back to the grindstone and my passion - the poker tables.
-
Keep it tight!

No comments: