Monday 7 June 2010

Those Eureka Moments



Unlike the Ancient Greek Mathematician my breakthrough didn't occur to me in the bath. It occurred to me at my Poker Laptop, playing a 10 man STT Turbo tournament with Poker Stove by my side.
-
Until recently I didn't realise how stale my game had gotten. Playing the same hands the same way. This was even more evident due to the fact that I was in a turbo tournament (something I do not usually play).
-
In these tournaments you obviously can't sit and wait for a hand, you have to get some chips quick - SO HOW?
-
Well I realise now that you have to use position, hand strength and a knowledge of the opponent.
-
Nothing different here than to a normal tournament then eh?
-
Of course not:
-
I know how to play different opponents ...
I know where the strongest positions to play from are ...
... and I know what the strongest hands to play are!
-
What I didn't know however was the strength of hands in position against the right opponent.
-
Not making much sense am I ... what do you expect! Archimedes was a genius with total command over complex mathematical equations. I however only have a rudimentary command over the written word!
-
All I can say is I need to do some more poker study with the great poker tool that can be found at www.pokerstove.com.
-
I'm sure most who read a poker blog can:
-
Calculate their number of outs
Calculate their pot odds
Calculate their implied odds
Make a few moves (squeeze plays, stop and goes etc)
-
But do we all understand the percentage chance of any particular hand winning in any situation? I certainly do not!
-
So with Poker Stove you can put in your starting hand and the hand you think your opponents may have and Poker Stove will calculate your percentage chance of not losing.
-
It isn't automated, and will not give you live information on what you should do in any given situation ...
-
... but it will help you predict outcomes and aid analysing past hands.
-
I feel it is going to help take me (with a lot of hard work) on to the next level of my poker game.
-
I strongly suggest you download this free piece of software and give it a whirl ...
... just don't learn to much from it if you are going to sit at my tables!
-
Until Next Time
-
Keep it Tight

No comments: